Diversity, Inclusion, Cohesion and Equality Officer - 3 Year Fixed Term Appointment
Based at: Service Headquarters, Valley Road, Portishead, Bristol BS20 8JJ
Contract: 3 Year Fixed Term Appointment
Hours: 37 hours per week (Monday – Friday)
Salary: £25,295 - £27,905
Closing date: 15 November 2019
We have a vacancy for a Diversity, Inclusion, Cohesion & Equality (DICE) Officer working within our small team. You will be involved in developing policy, practices and projects which promote and increase the diversity of the workforce and embed a culture of inclusion across the organisation.
Avon Fire and Rescue Service are currently embarking on a period of significant change in order to improve the quality and effectiveness of the service which it provides. If successful, you will be part of the drive to ensure that the necessary organisational culture change is introduced successfully.
The ideal applicant should be skilled at establishing effective working relationships and have experience of working with community groups. You must possess strong IT skills and the ability to analyse and present statistical data and reports in an appropriate format. It is essential that you have worked within a relevant Equality and Diversity role – either voluntary or paid - and have experience of implementing policies, projects and practices within a workplace. You will require comprehensive knowledge of relevant legislation, experience of completing Equality Impact Assessments and drafting reports. The ability to organise your workload and meet required deadlines is essential.
The Service operates a flexitime scheme. You will receive 24 days annual holiday (plus public holidays), enrolment into the Local Government Pension Scheme, free car parking, access to restaurant facilities, on site gym and sports hall. This post is based at our Headquarters which we share with Avon & Somerset Police and the successful applicant will be required to undergo a mandatory security clearance check.
Please note, this role is a 3 year fixed term appointment however there may be the possibility of extension or permanency.
How to apply:
Please complete either an application form or a CV and covering note which describe how you are able to demonstrate the qualifications and experience required for this role as outlined in the job description.
The job description is available to download on our website www.avonfire.gov.uk.
Completed applications must be submitted to Human Resources, Avon Fire & Rescue Service, Police & Fire Headquarters, PO Box 37, Valley Road, Portishead, Bristol BS20 8JJ by the closing date. Alternatively, you can email your application to email@example.com.
Please quote job reference number 3405 on any communications.
Diversity, Inclusion, Cohesion and Equality Officer
Directorate: Service Delivery Support
Post number: 3405
Grade: Hay 8
Under the supervision of the Culture and Inclusion Manager, the role of the Diversity, Inclusion, Cohesion and Equality (DICE) Officer is to develop policy, practice and projects that will promote and increase diversity within Avon Fire & Rescue Service (AF&RS) and embed a culture of inclusion and cohesion across the organisation. It is also a key aspect of the role to work with colleagues from Service Delivery to devise ways of engaging with communities across the AF&RS service area and ensure they are included in our DICE work.
- Assist with the development of policies and practice to attract, retain and promote a diverse and skilled workforce.
- Provide advice and respond to queries from staff relating to DICE issues in the workplace and our service delivery.
- Work with AF&RS staff, external partners and community groups to raise awareness of AF&RS as an employer of choice.
- Build relationships with key communities across the service area to promote the role of AF&RS and support community safety through engagement and partnership working.
- Represent the organisation at key equalities forums and local authority meetings; contribute to any strategies developed within them and feedback to staff.
- Identify suitable events which could be utilised to engage with the community and further our DICE strategy, and manage AF&RS’ attendance at these.
- Conduct research and horizon scanning to ensure the organisations knowledge of relevant legislation and public sector initiatives and requirements remains current.
- Establish collaborative working relationships with stakeholders, partners and sector colleagues to share best practice and ensure continual improvement.
- Support AF&RS staff with conducting Equality Impact Assessments.
- Assist in the collection, collation and presentation of DICE data and statistics.
- Assist with the development of DICE training for AF&RS staff.
The post holder must ensure that, both in their dealings with other employees and with members of the public, they adhere to AF&RS’ values and must confront any incidents of behaviour which are contrary to those values.
This role will involve some out of hours (evening and weekend) working to attend meetings and community events.
This Job Description contains only the main accountabilities relating to the post and does not describe in detail the duties required to carry them out.
SUPERVISION and WORK PLANNING
The post holder reports to the Diversity, Inclusion, Cohesion and Equality Manager with whom there is regular contact and by whom overall parameters and objectives are set.
In the absence of the DICE Manager, the post holder will be responsible for the day-to-day supervision of the DICE Firefighter.
QUALIFICATIONS and EXPERIENCE
- The post holder must demonstrate the following essential requirements:
- Knowledge and experience of organisational and cultural change programmes.
- Experience of delivering successful workplace diversity, inclusion or equality policy, practice and projects.
- Comprehensive knowledge of relevant legislation and a commitment to the principles of diversity, inclusion and equality
- Understanding and experience of completing, implementing and evaluating Equality Impact Assessments.
- Experience of drafting reports and presenting information within a team.
- Experience of working with diverse communities or organisations and with specialist organisations to support DICE work.
- Strong general IT skills and an ability to work with the Microsoft Office suite, particularly using Excel to interpret and present data.
- The ability to prioritise, work to deadlines and manage their own workload and time effectively.
- Commitment to development of themselves and the wider organisation, and the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Driving licence as travel around the Service area is a requirement of the role.
- Experience of planning and co-ordinating diversity and inclusion training events.
The following are desirable criteria:
- Qualification in Psychology, Sociology or Law
- Experience of policy development and review
AF&RS services the Unitary Authority areas of Bristol, Bath and North East Somerset, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire, with fire stations and office locations in each area. It is a Combined Fire Authority, consisting of Members drawn from these authorities. Avon Fire Authority is a precept Authority. Service Headquarters is based at Portishead with offices in Bristol, Bath, Weston-Super-Mare and Yate. In total, there are 20 fire stations, serving an area of approximately 513.55sq miles with a population of around 1,018,000. The Control Centre where emergency calls are handled is based in Lansdown, near Bath.
The Service is going through a period of significant change in order to improve the quality and effectiveness of the services it provides. The post holder, along with colleagues, will be instrumental in ensuring necessary organisational change is introduced successfully, whilst maintaining employee motivation and ensuring employees are focused on customer satisfaction and the delivery of efficient and effective services to the public and outside organisations.
The post-holder must have wide-ranging knowledge of the issues relevant to an area such as that covered by AF&RS, be aware of the pressures under which local authorities operate.
For the use of the Human Resources
Date approved: Oct 2019
To be signed by postholder: