Independent Persons

Vacancy details

Contract:  Three years (fixed-term)

Allowance: £250 per year plus reasonable travel and subsistence

Closing date: Thursday 2nd April 2020 at 12 noon

Avon Fire Authority is looking for up to two independent persons to play a vital role in our governance arrangements. The role is for a three year fixed term.

As an independent person, you will fulfil an important statutory role providing your views on misconduct complaints against Members of the Fire Authority.  Your views would be sought before decisions are reached on misconduct investigations.  Your views may also be sought in other circumstances and by any Member of the Authority under investigation.

Applicants will have a residential, business or employment link with the Avon community and an interest in ethical standards.  Some experience of governance in a public body and/or the ability to demonstrate an understanding of local government is also desirable.

The role will involve attending high-level meetings on request and you may, on occasion, also be required to give your views in public meetings. While there are no set number of meetings a year, if you're appointed you will receive an allowance of £250 per year plus travel and reimbursement of reasonable travel and subsistence expenses.

Independence is essential and therefore potential applicants cannot:

·         Be, or have been within the last 5 years, a member or co-opted member or an Officer of the Fire Authority; or

·         Be a relative or close friend of a current member or co-opted member or an Officer of the Fire Authority. 

How to apply:

The job description, information pack and application form is available on our website  Please submit your application form to the Clerk, Avon Fire & Rescue Service, Police & Fire Headquarters, PO Box 37, Valley Road, Portishead, Bristol BS20 8JJ by the closing date and time.  Alternatively, you can email your application to  Late applications will not be accepted. 

For an informal discussion about the role please email the Clerk to the Fire Authority at: and this will be arranged.

Documents and forms