Based at: AF&RS Technical Services, Nova Way, Avonmouth BS11 9DJ
Contract: Fixed term appointment until 31 March 2023
Hours: 37 hours per week
Salary: Hay 9 (£22,183 - £25,481)
Closing date: 12:00 (midday) on Thursday 17 June 2021
We have an exciting opportunity to join Avon Fire & Rescue Service as an Administrative Officer. This role will be responsible for providing a comprehensive administrative and research support to all functions and departments within the Technical Centre.
We are looking for an individual that has significant administrative experience as well as effective research skills, including report writing and supporting presentations. It is essential that you proven organisational skills and the ability to manage and prioritise work to comply with agreed deadlines. It is essential to this role that you hold a current UK driving licence and/or be able to travel between work locations.
The successful candidate will have the ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and written, and work effectively as part of a team. Experience of using Microsoft Office and compiling information from a range of sources is essential.
The Administrative Officer will research to obtain relevant information and performance data as well as researching and compiling Appliance and Equipment Manuals for all equipment and appliances within the Service. You will also assist in maintaining accurate information held on the various IT management systems used within the department, which will include managing records and producing reports from data held.
To see the full duties of the role and candidate criteria required please see the job description provided.
How to apply:
The job description and application is available to download below. Once you have read the job description please complete the application form telling us how you meet the requirements of the role - tell us how your skills, qualifications and experience match those required for this role, and provide examples wherever you can. The information you give us will assist us in our shortlisting process.
Completed applications must be submitted to Human Resources, Avon Fire & Rescue Service, Police & Fire Headquarters, PO Box 37, Valley Road, Portishead, Bristol BS20 8JJ by the closing date and time. Alternatively, you can email your application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Late applications will not be accepted.
If you need the application form in another format please email email@example.com and we will be able to send the application form in an alternative format.
Please quote job reference number 3853 on any communications. Thank you.
Avon Fire & Rescue Service is an equal opportunities employer. For monitoring purposes please could we ask you to complete our Monitoring Form (at the bottom of this page). Completion of this form is voluntary.
Please note that we are not accepting CVs via Recruitment Agencies at this moment in time.
JOB TITLE: Administrative Officer
DIRECTORATE: Service Delivery Support
UNIT: Technical Services, Nova Way
POST NO: 3853
1. JOB PURPOSE
- To provide comprehensive administrative and research support to all functions and departments within the Technical Centre.
- Assist in maintaining accurate information held on the various IT management systems used within the department, which will include managing records and producing reports from data held.
- Avon Fire & Rescue Service (AF&RS) serves the Unitary Authority areas of Bristol, Bath & North East Somerset, North Somerset and South Gloucestershire, with fire and rescue stations and office locations in each area. It is a Combined Fire & Rescue Authority, consisting of elected members drawn from the above four authorities. Our Headquarters is based at Portishead with area offices in Bristol, Bath, Weston-super-Mare, Yate and Lansdown. In total, there are twenty one fire & rescue stations, serving an area of approximately 133,245 hectares with a population of just over one million.
- This post is within the Technical Services Unit which is part of the Service Delivery Support Directorate. The Directorate is responsible for providing specialist support to the Service to enable it to achieve its corporate objectives, targets and service requirements. The Technical Centre situated at Nova Way (Avonmouth) which includes currently comprised of the Fleet, Workshops, Technical Services, Breathing Apparatus, Stores, Hydrants and Driver Training Units.
- MAIN DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
3.1 Provide comprehensive administrative support including word processing, diary management, arranging meetings and taking minutes, maintenance of filing systems, dealing with mail and correspondence, reprographics, ordering stationery and publishing relevant information on the corporate Intranet.
3.2 Undertake research to obtain relevant information and performance data, liaising with staff in other departments and outside the Service as necessary, eg to track progress of projects against key milestones. Compile/collate information from databases and provide basic reports with statistical information and summaries, using spreadsheets, graphs, pie charts etc.
3.3 Research and compile Appliance and Equipment Manuals for all equipment and appliances within the Service. Review publications, ensuring compliance with Statutory Duty, Health and Safety, LOLER (Lifting operations and lifting equipment regulations), PUWER (Provision and use of work equipment regulations) etc.
3.4 Manage Maintenance Intervention Records by developing an individual test
procedure for all equipment, updating and producing accurate Maintenance
Intervention Records, and archiving historic records in line with data protection
3.5 Produce Risk Assessments and Manual Handling Risk Assessments for all appliances and equipment within Avon Fire & Rescue Service.
3.6 Undertake quarterly Health and Safety Risk Assessments for the Technical Centre, and conduct weekly fire alarm testing and recording as required. Maintain awareness of Health & Safety Regulations.
3.7 Provide assistance and support in relation to briefing/de-briefing presentations to both internal and external professional colleagues as required.
3.8 Input information and maintain accurate data on the Asset and Fleet Management Systems.
3.9 Publish the scheduled work programme, and record scheduled servicing requirements, work carried out and expenditure for all operational equipment.
3.10 Provide test certificates, other documents and relevant information as necessary.
3.11 Ensure quality audits are undertaken, so standards can be assessed and maintained, and that any problems are identified at an early stage.
3.12 Actively participate in a continual process of improvement and development within the function to meet emerging and future service needs in accordance with the Service’s strategic objectives.
3.13 Maintain effective working relationships with other Fire and Rescue Services, and responding agencies to promote collaborative working and shared understanding when progressing work.
3.14 Provide cover for other administrative staff to cover absences and peaks in workload, to ensure an effective support service is provided at all times. This will include: dealing with telephone calls and personal callers; answering routine enquiries and taking messages; assisting in running the of the Service’s frontline Fire Appliance and ancillary vehicle repair and preventative maintenance and inspections programme; providing administrative support to Workshops, including the production of job cards, ordering parts and supplies, processing invoices, producing reports and inputting accurate information into the various technical management systems.
3.15 Carry out any other administrative support duties as may reasonably be required.
4. SUPERVISION AND WORK PLANNING
- You will be supervised by Station Manager at the Technical Centre, who will provide
support, determine priorities and monitor performance and quality standards.
4.2 You will provide administrative support to a range of managers and staff within the
Centre. Consequently you will need to use your initiative in organising your work to
meet deadlines and deal with urgent requests.
5. QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Comprehensive administrative experience and skills.
- Effective skills in research, standard report writing, and supporting presentations.
- IT literate, and the ability to use a range of software packages including databases, spreadsheets and PowerPoint.
- Keen eye for detail and accuracy.
- Well-developed general organisational and problem-solving skills.
- Able to manage conflicting priorities whilst continuing to achieve targets and deadlines, including the ability to plan, prioritise and organise own workload.
- Basic knowledge of Health & Safety regulations, and ability to develop this knowledge in the context of the Technical Centre.
- Ability to work across a range of disciplines.
- Able to communicate effectively at all levels.
- Hold a current driving licence and/or have the ability to travel between work locations.
- Evidence of maintaining and helping to develop computerised systems.
- Experience of representing the organisation at working groups or similar.
- Ability to develop and deliver appropriate training and support to system users.
- Experience in a technical environment and/or experience of laying out technical documents in a straightforward format.
- Experience and/or knowledge of the work of fire and rescue services.
- Experience and/or knowledge of various types of fire and rescue equipment.
- A current IOSH or NEBOSH certificate.
6. SPECIAL NOTES OR CONDITIONS (IF APPLICABLE)
6.1 Although your post is based at Nova Way (Avonmouth) there may be times when you are required to work from a different workbase, for which appropriate travel allowances will be paid.
Date approved: 5 May 2021
Date effective: 5 May 2021
To be signed by postholder: