Business Fire Safety - Training & Development Officer
Based at: Any Avon Fire & Rescue Service location
Contract: Fixed Term Appointment – 2 years
Hours: Can be offered on a part time or full time basis (Monday – Friday)
Salary: Hay 6: £37,336 - £40,221 per annum
Summary of role
Based in our Prevention & Protection Business Fire Safety (BFS) Team the Training & Development Officer will provide advice and support to new trainee fire safety inspectors and deliver acquisition[LB1] [SQ2] and continuous training to all specialist fire safety inspectors.
Some of the things you’ll be doing
- You will deliver training to our operational staff to support them in carrying out operational fire safety checks.
- You will design and develop training packages to be delivered online and through various types of communication to assist all staff in developing their understanding around fire safety.
- You will conduct Fire Safety Audits, and re-inspections when required and will provide resilience across the BFS function.
- You will advise on the fire safety standards which are appropriate to the risk, in accordance with relevant codes and legal requirement.
- You will provide responses to either verbal or written requests on behalf of the Service.
- You will prepare notes, reports and schedules of recommendations or requirements in accordance with accepted practice - maintaining records of work undertaken as required.
- You will provide assistance in prosecution cases as required.
What we’ll need from you - Essential
- Level 4 Diploma in Fire Safety (Fire Inspectors)
- Knowledge of Building Regulations together with experience in commenting on Building Regs submissions.
- Knowledge of business fire safety policies and procedures and management systems.
- Knowledge of fire safety statutes, codes of practice, policies and procedures and an understanding of their legal implications.
- Knowledge of statutory enforcement within a legislative framework.
- Experience of working within a fire safety environment.
- Experience of compiling and interpreting statistical information
- Demonstrable experience of designing and delivering business fire safety training.
What you can expect in return
- 26 days annual holiday (plus public holidays) rising to 30 days after 5 years, and 31 after 10 years of service
- Local Government Pension – Defined Benefit Scheme
- Electric Vehicle Salary Sacrifice Scheme
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Welfare and Wellbeing services
- Staff Engagement Groups
- Access to Medical Intervention Scheme
- Access to Blue Light card with offers online and high street discounts
- Use of the multi-gym, sports hall, restaurant, free parking and beautiful open surroundings at our Headquarters in Portishead.
With effect from July 2023 legislation was amended to enable all Fire & Rescue Services to undertake standard DBS checks for all employees. All job roles require a standard DBS check, with certain defined roles requiring an enhanced check. These will be renewed throughout employment.
To see the full duties of the role and candidate criteria required please see the job description provided.
How to apply:
Once you have read the job description please complete the application form telling us how your skills, qualifications and experience match those required for this role, and provide examples wherever you can. The information you give us will assist us in our shortlisting process.
The digital application form can be accessed here via the link below:
If you experience any issues with the application, please contact email@example.com
If you require a paper version of the application form, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Late applications will not be accepted. Please quote job reference number 1463 on any communications. Thank you.
Avon Fire & Rescue Service is committed to securing equality of opportunity. We welcome applications from all members of our community who are currently under-represented at Avon Fire & Rescue Service, particularly women, Disabled people and members of ethnic minority communities.